Monday 11 April 2011

Idea Development 2


I took a basic photograph of Blair from google, (as this is probably where I can find my best reference images to draw and paint from) and began by producing a simple preliminary sketch to later paint from. At first I wasn't sure what item of symbolism I wanted to include to state what point Blair was in his career in this piece.

At first, I began to consider using the peace process in Northern Ireland as a main event in his career to represent, but aesthetically I found the Northern Ireland flag (although decorative and almost symbolic of the peace process) to work clumsily around Blair, I knew the painting had to be simplified.


I later decided to use the aftermath of the Iraq war as an event to interpret Blair within, by placing the NATO emblem behind him, and a black "war criminal" strip across his eyes as though to prevent his identity being recognised. I'am relatively pleased with the finished piece (even if it's only A4 size) but believe in order to get a decent body of work I now need to move away from using acrylics, and focus on other styles I have already researched in previous posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment