Monday 30 May 2011

Practise Final

This was originally going to become my single A2 final that I produced as my exhibition piece, but things really didn't turn out as well as I wanted. After a discussion with Matt, he seemed to agree. My main issues was how unplanned I was in tackling the large area of Blair's naked back and head area, and sustaining the same colour and consistency for such a big section of the whole image. Overall, I was relatively happy with how the illustration had come out as a whole. The green definitely seemed to be affective when I received feedback from my peers and the concept seemed to be pretty understandable, together with the subtle hints to the historical/political context and the mood of the image.

The main trouble that I also had with this image is the complicated an awkward mix of different colours and tones. I felt as though the illustration was being transformed in to something of a cartoon, which my stance is against for this project.

Since producing this, I've completed a 2nd A2 illustration, keeping similar to his posture and setting, but keeping to just one main colour (of a light turquoise to portray him as weak). I also took on board alot of comments from my final critique, where I have illustrated Blair from behind in a suit, his normal situation if you like, to place emphasis on the idea of him being stripped and exposed in a very personal setting.

The final touch I made to my final exhibition piece was the inclusion of a snippet of an over sized newspaper article to give the illustration a purpose and physical context, as well as scale, as if the illustration has been blown up to 10x it's normal size. This wasn't something I had ever considered in the later days of the project until Graham asked "why?" the illustration existed, and as ever I was stumped and felt as I normally do in crits with Graham, weak.

But after I spoke to Matt and explained my idea of using text and the suit to fill his back, and I felt reassured this was a good move to make in the end.

Hopefully I'll upload a photo tomorrow of the finished article.

No comments:

Post a Comment